Each year CNA gives one health-care facility the Employer Recognition Award for exemplary, sustained support of the CNA Certification Program and CNA-certified nurses.
Some examples of sustained support are as follows:
- CNA certification credential mentioned in advertisements and/or job descriptions when recruiting for RNs.
- Facility- or company-wide recognition of the achievements of CNA-certified RNs (e.g., award ceremony, newsletter, letter of recognition, plaque displaying the names of CNA-certified RNs).
- Financial support for RNs taking their certification exams or obtaining certification renewal.
- Provision of other types of compensation (e.g., pay differential, education leave for exam preparation, continuous learning support, purchase of resource materials, provision of study room).
- Encouragement of RNs to act as mentors, either on a day-to-day basis with workplace colleagues or for the CNA Certification Mentorship Program; provision and/or support of mentorship study groups.
- Support of professional participation on a CNA-certification examination committee or other examination development activities.
- be nominated by a current CNA-certified RN or certification candidate;
- be nominated by a group of CNA-certified RNs and/or candidates with the same employer; or
- nominate themselves.
Why nominate an employer?
The award allows employers to be publicly recognized for supporting their nurses and the CNA Certification Program.
The Employer Recognition Award winner will receive:
- a framed CNA certificate
- a profile in at least one of CNA’s publications
Note: employers in second and third place will receive honorable mentions.
Apply now. The deadline is January 31, 2017.
Congratulations to our 2015 recipient!
Pierre-Le Gardeur Hospital’s oncology centre is a regional facility, but their dedication to quality health care is anything but small. A prime example of this dedication is nursing specialty certification. Administrators at the centre believe “there is no better assurance of quality and competence than CNA certification.” This past year, the whole health team got involved in the RN certification study group, including pharmacists, psychologists and medical oncologists, to support the RNs as they went through the certification process and to enhance their own expertise. As a result, the team enhanced its knowledge and morale, more nurses now want to pursue certification and other team members are looking for proactive strategies to develop their skills and knowledge.
Honourable mentions went to the BC Cancer Agency (BCCA) and the ICU at St. Thomas Elgin General Hospital. BCCA’s dedication to professional development ensures that nursing staff feel fully supported and have easy access to innovative tools and resources. St. Thomas Elgin puts a distinct value on advanced practice nursing, while making sure it leads staff by example and engages its wider health-care team in the process of certification and knowledge advancement.
Employer Recognition Award
- 2014 Leisureworld Senior Care Corporation
- 2013 Princess Margaret Cancer Centre
- 2012 Hill House Hospice
- 2011 Centre for Addiction and Mental Health
- 2010 Jewish General Hospital
- 2009 Jewish Eldercare Centre
- 2008 Bloorview Kids Rehab
- 2006/2007 Saint Elizabeth Health Care
- 2005 St. Michael’s Hospital
- 2004 The Scarborough Hospital
- 2003 McGill University Health Centre
- 2002 Baycrest Centre for Geriatric Care
- 2001 Halton Healthcare Services
- 2000 Network North, The Community Mental Health Group
- 1999 Mount Sinai Hospital
- 2014 Toronto Public Health
- Centre hospitalier de l’Université de Montréal
- 2013 Programme-clientele d'oncologie Hopital Maisonneuve-Rosemont
- 2012 City of Hamilton, Public Health Services
- 2011 Fraser Health
- York Central Hospital
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
- 2010 Simcoe Muskoka District Health Unit
- Riverview Health Centre
- Lakeridge Health
- 2009 Alberta Health Services
- 2008 Stedman Community Hospice
- 2006/2007 Providence Continuing Care Centre
- Saint John Regional Hospital – Emergency Department
- 2005 Centre de santé et de services sociaux de Gatineau, Hôpital de Gatineau
- St. Paul’s Hospital Heart Centre
- 2004 Kingston General Hospital
- Toronto East General Hospital
- 2003 Maimonides Geriatric Centre
Award for Innovation
- 2011 Thunder Bay Regional Health Sciences Centre
- Horizon Health Network, Saint John Regional Hospital
- 2010 CSSS Drummond, Hôpital Sainte-Croix
- Princess Margaret Hospital
- 2009 Northumberland Hills Hospital
- North Perth Family Health Team
- Prince Albert Parkland Health Region
- 2008 Hôtel-Dieu de Lévis
- Middlesex-London Health Unit
- Queensway Carleton Hospital
- Winnipeg Regional Health Authority
- 2006/2007 Dr. Everett Chalmers Hospital
- Humber River Regional Hospital
- Leamington District Memorial Hospital
- 2005 Centre de santé et de services sociaux de LaSalle et du Vieux Lachine – CLSC LaSalle
- Fraser Health Authority at Chilliwack General Hospital
- Vancouver Coastal Health